Friday, March 18, 2011

DRJ #3; Hamlet Act 3


DRJ #3: Act 3

                As a believer, when I feel I’ m being convicted of a sin I tend to want to lash out and get angry at the person who is telling me what I did was wrong. In Act 3, Claudius had to leave in the middle of the play because God was convicting him of murdering his brother.  Reading this part of the story reminded me of myself and all the reasoning and justification I do to make what I did wrong, right. 
                Hamlet was very strong emotionally in this act. When the actors were acting out the scene of his father’s death, Hamlet could have easily lashed out towards Claudius and seek revenge while he was watching. But I think it was brilliant to have a play convict the King instead of him doing it and something bad coming out it. Of course the protagonist I believe is Hamlet.  As much as he has resentment towards his mother he still seems to bring God and his religious views into action. He is very stern with his words. Like it’s mentioned in the play “Let me be cruel, not unnatural…I will speak daggers but use none” (1643) because he loves her he will let her know what she did is wrong.
                Act 3 was based upon a lot of guilt and sin.  Claudius was feeling the pain of guilt in his heart about the sin he committed. He can’t stand it now. He says “My stronger guilt defeats my strong intent” (1644).  He thinks a simple rain will wash away his bad deeds against his brother. He confesses to the heavens of his wrong intentions. Now this is when Hamlet believes if he kills him he will still go to heaven because he is praying and asking for forgiveness.  The image that is being painted is Claudius I feel is going to be the victim now.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way that you mention Hamlet being strong emotionally in this act. It is a very good point. When you put the situation into perspective it is really remarkable that Hamlet was able to hold his tongue around Claudius. Even in his supposed madness, Hamlet is very calm about the situation with Claudius and never directly blames him for murdering King Hamlet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Yes, I agree Hamlet showed that he was quite sane in a way. He showed premeditation to work out this play and then watch how Claudius reacted. Which is quite intelligent and cunning. I do think that Act3 was very much about guilt and sin. It showed another aspect of Claudius, one who felt remorse for his sinful deeds.
    -Taryne

    ReplyDelete