Friday, March 4, 2011

DRJ#1 Hamlet, Act1


DRJ #1 Hamlet, Act 1
                After reading Hamlet Act 1 the play started to remind of the move Sixth Sense. I know that maybe sound awkward but the concept of Hamlet, Horatio, Bernardo and Marcellus seeing and talking to a spirit reminds me of the boy in the movie talking to the dead people. Either because the dead people wanted closure or in one case the girl’s mother killed the daughter by poisoning her and the girl spirit wanted the boy to tell the father what really happened by showing him a video. So it’s neat to see the same scenario in today’s films.
One character that stood out to me besides Hamlet was Laertes. He was a bright kid who loved his sister dearly and was true to France. As he was boarding the ship, he was making sure his sister would write him and lecturing her on young love. He was doing what older brothers would do and that is to protect them from any man. He isn’t afraid to speak his mind and what lies on his heart.  I’m not sure what his part is in the play but eager to find out.
I believe Act 1 was about loyalty.  It expressed Laertes finishing his duty at Denmark so he could return home. Towards the ending of the act Hamlet made an oath to his father’s spirit to take revenge on the old King’s death. That requires loyalty. Also, Horatio swears that he may never tell a soul about seeing the spirit of Hamlet’s father.  The main dialogue between the King and Hamlet had to do with the extension of mourning from Hamlet which raises the conflict.  Hamlet is still in mourning and Claudius is saying it’s due to “of impious stubbornness, ‘tis unmanly grief;” (1597).

3 comments:

  1. From the conversation between Laertes and his sister, I've decided that I don't really like him. He might've been giving his sister advice but I don't think it was in a loving way. He seems to look down on Hamlet and even his sister. I thought he was very rude and treated her like a child. He says, "The canker galls the infants of the spring, too oft before their buttons be disclos'd", which means that he thinks Hamlet will destroy her youth because she has not grown into a woman yet and is not ready for love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    Wow, I would never have thought about the correlations between Hamlet and the Sixth Sense! But, I do see what you mean. I agree with your comments about loyalty. Act 1 does carry a theme of loyalty in it. Hamlet is loyal to his father and his memory and now to avenge his death. While Horatio is loyal to Hamlet as a friend. While Ophelia is loyal to her brother and father. I think Laertes is loyal to his sister in the sense that he wishes to protect her womanhood. He feels she is not intelligent or maybe more along the lines of being to naive to know about men and their true intentions. He feels he must protect her but I think he is also worried that she will embarrass him and his father Polonius.
    -Taryne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your view on the conversations between the three, and the movie. I hadn't thought about it like that. I also enjoy your relation between the past and present with the conversation between siblings, Laertes and Ophelia. I found myself also wondering what significance he was to the play and can't wait to find out either.

    ReplyDelete